Log in | Register
08/09/2021

Draft local plan published for Hertsmere

Words: Laura Edgar
Local plan / Shutterstock_195878072

Hertsmere Borough Council has published its draft local plan, which sets out how the borough will meet housing requirements for at least 760 homes a year until 2038.

This equates to a total minimum target of 12,160 homes between 2022 and 2038.

The plan is also being designed to ensure that 70 per cent of new affordable homes will be available for rent for those who cannot access housing without subsidy. The remaining 30 per cent are designated as for sale homes, such as shared ownership.

Leader of Hertsmere Borough Council Morris Bright MBE explained: “By planning for growth locally we can ensure that we deliver the homes we need alongside the jobs, infrastructure and services to support this growth.

“Without an up-to-date plan, development can be taken out of local hands and it could mean less money for delivering the facilities and services our residents want and need."

The draft local plan will be considered at an executive meeting on Tuesday 14 September. It will then go before a full council meeting on Thursday 30 September, which can be viewed live via the council’s webcast system.

If councillors approve the plan for public engagement, a six-week period of engagement will start on Monday 11 October.

Harvey Cohen, portfolio holder for planning, said: “We know that, as a small borough, we don’t have enough space in our towns and villages to accommodate all the homes required.

“Eighty per cent of our borough is currently green belt but not all of that is high-quality, unspoilt countryside and a lot of it is not accessible to the public. By planning for growth locally we will maximise opportunities to create more public open space for residents.

“Essential to this plan is working with a range of organisations who will deliver the infrastructure we want to see in the borough, from Hertfordshire County Council on roads and schools to our local Clinical Commissioning Group on health services. We also need to work with neighbouring authorities to ensure that our plan works alongside theirs.”

More information on the local plan can be found here.

Image credit | Shutterstock

Tags