Login | Register
29/04/2019

Decline in derelict land in Scotland

Words: Laura Edgar
Derelict land / Shutterstock_18986386

There has been a 716-hectare decline in derelict and urban vacant land in Scotland from 11,753 hectares in 2017 to 11,037 hectares in 2018. This equates to 6 per cent.

Scotland’s chief statistician says that of those 11,037 hectares recorded in the 2018 survey, 1,991 (18 per cent) were identified as derelict. The remaining 9,044 (82 per cent) hectares were classified at derelict.

 The statistical release suggests that the 716-hectare net decrease is down to:

  • 350 hectares being brought back into use;
  • 632 hectares recorded as naturalised;
  • the addition of 187 hectares in new sites; and
  • a net increase of 79 hectares due to changes in existing sites and removal of sites that don’t meets the required definitions.

There are five authorities with more than 1,000 hectares of derelict and urban vacant land. East Ayrshire tops the list with 1,810 hectares, which equates to 16 per cent of Scotland’s total. Glasgow has 1,005 hectares, the largest of the country’s city authorities.

For where the previous use of a derelict and urban vacant land site is known:

  • 29 per cent for mineral activity (3,080 hectares),
  • 20 per cent for manufacturing (2,137 hectares); and
  • 12 per cent for defence (1,270 hectares).

Of the Scottish population, 29.1 per cent of the population have been estimated to live within 500 metres of a derelict site. Shetland and Orkney had the lowest percentage, with less than 1 per cent. Of the people living in the most deprived decile, 58 per cent are thought to live within 500 metres of derelict land, according to the data. This compares with 11 per cent in the least deprived decile.

In 2018, 350 hectares of land was reclaimed or brought back into use, while 632 hectares were recorded as naturalised.

Image credit | Shutterstock

Tags